Sunday, March 28, 2010

Grrr to on-call doctors.. and Getting to Know You

First I wanted to express my annoyance at on-call drs. Well, not all, just one. Here's what happened...

As you know from my previous post I have been having contractions on and off and I have lost some mucous over the last couple of days. No blood tinged, but I know that doesn't necessarily matter. Anyway, last night I got a headache and I know that my Dr and the nurses at the hospital have asked if I have had headaches, so I have been looking out for them. I was also having contractions, again intermittent, but definitely there. I was also feeling kinda crappy. So I wanted to reassurance and called the after hours service for my Dr office, who said that the on-call would call me back.

So she did, I told her a very brief history of this pregnancy and described what I had been feeling. She acted like I was annoying her and spoke in a very condescending tone to me to only call if my contractions were 5 min apart. I said that my Dr said to call if I get 4 in an hour. She went on to tell me it doesn't matter if I am carrying one or two babies the rule is the same. I said ok, I will time them. And THEN she says "a real contraction would be very painful. DON'T call unless they are painful. Have a good night." AND THEN SHE HUNG UP!!! I started to cry and was so angry with her. I had calmed down a bit but when Josh got back from the gym I started crying uncontrollably. Luckily all of my issues stopped andthe babies were both moving with no problems, so I decided not to call L&D. I just wanted a little assurance, not "you idiot, don't you know whether or not you are in labor?" NO I DON'T. This is my first pregnancy (which I told her) so it's all new to me.

Bitch. Josh says I need to mention it to my regular Dr.

Ok enough of that. On to fun stuff. Feel free to steal...


I borrowed this from Emily who is having twin boys ;)
Time for "Getting to Know You Sunday"!


Why did you start blogging? I originally started blogging to show off shoes and pretty things but it quickly turned into a blog about infertility and my struggles with it. It's been a nice outlet...

Who's the one blog friend that you would want to meet most in "real life"? Sorry, can't pick just one! There are way too many. But you each know who you are ;) And I love you all like sisters!

Why are you always concerned with losing that "extra 10 pounds" when chances are your husband/boyfriend/friends tell you that you look just fine the way you are? This is a funny question because I have never felt that way about myself. Even though I am hugely pregnant right now, I am not concerned with weight after pregnancy. Especially since my baby weight has all been in my belly. I'm ok with that.

What's the one thing you wish guys could understand about you? My husband understands so much about me. The mood swings threw him off a bit though. We have very open communication though, so if something is bothering us we aren't afraid to say it.

Tattoos. How many do you have and how many are visible when you wear your "everyday" clothes? umm lemme count... 7 I think? And most show in regular clothes. I have a shamrock on my heel, a 1/2 winged heart on my foot, Tigger on my ankle, an angel on my hip, a huge rose on the ball of my shoulder, a sparrow on the front of my shoulder, and an Egyptian symbol on the back of my shoulder. No, I'm not done either ;)

What was the best year of your life and why? The year Josh and I got married was great, but this year may rival that...

Name three things you would do if you were a man for one day. Ummm I don't know. I don't wanna be a man!

What's your alcoholic drink of choice that usually raises a few eyebrows? I have always loved Margaritas. But I think ANY alcoholic drink I order at this point in my lifef would raise eyebrows...

8 comments:

Amber said...

Some doctors are so mean! I can't believe she treated you that way. I would be upset, too. And, I agree with Josh - tell your doctor.

Chele said...

Josh is right! You most definitely need to call your doctor tomorrow and let him know how you were treated this weekend. The on call doc basically blew you off and it does matter how close your contractions are if you are going to have a c-section. My doc didn't want me in full blown labor with Jake as he was a schedule c-section. Big hugs.

Kim said...

I am so mad for you. My Dr. says anything over 4-6 per hour (depending on what your "normal" is) you should call about or just go straight in to L&D since that's where she would have me go anyway. I have had quite a few condescending Drs and nurses over the years and finally switched to a Dr. who doesn't do on-call and handles everything herself. Makes a world of difference. I know that's probably not an option for you at this point, but know that what that Dr. did was NOT right. Every patient has the right to call in with concerns and should not be belittled because the Dr. decided that their concerns are not worth the time. Grr..... I would definitely mention it to your Dr. Hope the rest of your night is better!!

"The Mrs." said...

I am so sorry about the after hours nurse...yikes! Did you ever have any Braxton Hicks?

Brandie said...

Ugh, stupid on call dr! Josh is right, you totally need to bring that to your regular dr's attention. I'm glad your contractions stopped and the babies are moving like they usually do :) I'm so excited for you!

Unknown said...

happy 37 weeks!!!!

sorry that horrible doctor treated you like that though...so stupid!!! :(

9 days...woohoo!!

Once Upon A Time said...

What a bitch. If it's one thing I've learned through the numerous doctors throughout all my stuff these past couple of years, is that not all doctors know what they should and don't treat you as you should. Thank goodness she's not your regular doc!

So is the full moon going to set things in motion for you? ;-)

VelvetJinxx said...

EVIL! And it's not even true. They hooked my friend up and saw they were 5 minutes apart and she was not in any pain - she had the baby that day!

Hang in there - six days or LESS!!