Saturday, May 9, 2009

Show and Tell :)

Thanks to the Stirrup Queen for giving us all a little piece of our childhood back :) More show and tell HERE...

When I was little, my family and I used to go to my grandma's house in Placentia, CA all of the time. We always had fun there. Here's us... I'm the one sitting cross-legged and looking up at something ..circa 1980ish..


Anyway, there are plenty of fond memories here. One of my favorite being the spice tin that contained "love". Grandma would always open the tin and "sprinkle" love into the dinner she was making us. One day we decided to see what was in the tin. We opened it up and found it was empty. My brother and I figured that Grandma used up all of the "love". We along with my sisters got bright red construction paper and cut out little tiny hearts to fill the tin back up with love. That evening Grandma was making dinner and when she went to sprinkle the love into her palm to put it in the food, she got a surprise with all of the little red hearts that spilled out into her hand.

She kept that tin filled with our little construction paper hearts on her oven ledge for years, until she became ill with Alzheimer's and had to move out of her home. I am not sure where it is now, but I know one of us kids or mom has it. Grandma passed away nearly 4 years ago and I miss her every single day.

Today I knew she was with me. I went to a local thrift store after work on a whim and found this.


It's now sitting on my oven ledge where it will remain until I give it to one of my grandchildren someday. Maybe it will be filled with little tiny red hearts, maybe not. But it will always be a constant reminder of my beautiful Grandma and the love she put into everything she did.

16 comments:

Kristin said...

What a touching story. I love the story about how you filled the tin back up with little red hearts.

Malky B. said...

Great story about your grandmother! Love that you found that spice container.

Beautiful Mess said...

I love this story! What a great memory of your grandmother. That's so amazing that you found a "love tine". It will be cherished for years.
*HUGS*

Anonymous said...

This is an amazing story, thank you so much for sharing it. I love the photos you included, especially of your grandmother.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

You had me at the sprinkles, then at the red hearts, but finding that tin really made my heart swell.

Beautiful S&T.

Unknown said...

thanks for making me cry sis! i love you...

Once Upon A Time said...

That is such a sweet story. How amazing about your thrift store find too.

Team Marmanbee said...

I love this story, and I think it would make a fantastic children's book. You should think about it...

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome. I love the picture of your grandma. I have too have pictures of my grandmothers and fathers when they are young. They were all so handsome. I hope someday my children will look at photos of me and DH and say the same thing.

Liv said...

Uh! I just love this post. Thank you so much for bringing this to S&T! An absolutely lovely idea of sprinkling a little love.

And the tin is right...Net Weight immeasurable.

Lynn Page said...

Carol, that's super sweet...very sentimental...very unique, and totally cool that your found that tin!!!

Lucky Jones said...

As I wrote this I started crying. I remember my Grandma as she was when I was little, not towards the end of her life. she was such a beautiful woman!

Sandra, I think that's a great idea... I have actually wanted to write a children's book but couldn't find the theme.. I think this is it :)

Sunny said...

What a fun and touching memory of your grandma. I love the recent find!

Anonymous said...

I love this post ..such a touching story and Wonderful to find that tin it has become so cherished for the memory.

Wonderful S&T

xX

Team Marmanbee said...

I'm so glad you've decided to write a children's book about this. I'd love to read it when it's done. :-)

Brandie said...

This is absolutely beautiful. You have wonderful memories and your grandmother was definitely with you when you found that tin. What a wonderful sign!!