Saturday, December 19, 2009

Waiting for the other shoe...

So the in-laws are here.

*silent scream*

So far it's been ok, but I am waiting for the fireworks. MIL got a ton of stuff for the babies which is great. BUT she asked me about who's gonna be here when the babies are born. I told her my mom and my sisters and Josh is taking time off.

She then said when my family leaves she will come up and stay for "a while". Dear God, how long is "a while"? Josh and I do need time alone eventually. And it's completely different with my family. They know that when I need to be alone, I need to be alone and they are very cool about it. They are wonderful that way.

MIL on the other hand? Not so much. I can see her clamoring for baby attention and not leaving me and Josh alone.

I can easily feel stifled. I have always been a bit of a loner. I have always wanted to be by myself, figure it out on my own.

Joy.

5 comments:

Meganlux said...

ah - quite a toughie! i have always had a similar situation - LOVE my family, but my inlaws side is awkward.

i hate to say it, but this is their grandchild as well, and with them knowing that your family is going to be there, it is in the end only fair that they get to see their grandkids too - even if it seems painful to think of it! there are times one needs to suck it up and be gracious.

my advice, is YOU control the timing and the length of the visit. don't let her get away with a "for a while" comment that will leave you with anxiety for the next months... as soon as you figure out the timing of your family's visit, contact your MIL and tell her that she can come from X to Y date. and that's it! i have resorted to this, the first one of 2 times might be awkward, but what you are doing at the same time is setting a precedent for all future visits... time for you to step up and be the one in control. your home, your kids - YOU decide who visits, when and for how long. baby steps...it took me years to train my inlaws LOL!

good luck!!!

BB said...

Playing catch up with your blog... the id I am signed in with for your private blog is not the same as where I blog (Baby To Be)... so don't get the updates there!

Glad to know everything is going well! I think I am almost on the same page as you as far as shopping is concerned. I feel like time is running out, but at the back of my mind I am afraid to make the big purchases!

My MIL will be with us after my Mom leaves too... so I know what you mean! :) Let's see how it goes. Though I guess, with the crazy sleepless schedule, might be helpful to have the extra hands.

Unknown said...

oh sweetie, i feel for you. *hug* jonathon is getting married on the 9th, so if you have the babies a couple weeks early, we'll wait until closer to the end of the month anyway. and we can stay with j's sister so you and josh don't have to feel bombarded with company..;) you just let me know what you need from me...i'm always here for you no matter if it's in the same room or half a country away...

love you sweetheart...xoxox

Once Upon A Time said...

I say be very up front and set a specific time frame in advance... that way a "few more days.." won't happen to you. I hate to say it though- but with two, we both (although similar in our need to be alone and figure it out on our own) might just need all the extra help we can get.

VelvetJinxx said...

Annoying!